Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Burglars Can't Be Choosers, by Lawrence Block

This book was 6 hours and 34 minutes long, and was narrated by Rick Ferrone.

I eagerly snapped up this one from NetLibrary because I recognized this as the first book in the series about the bookish burglar, Bernie Rhonebarr. I have read some of the other books in this series, and found them to be entertaining with likable characters. They were light fare, written well.

I was pretty disappointed. Not only was this one a bit raunchier than the others, but the solution to the crime was pretty implausible and unsatisfying. This came out originally in 1977, so maybe the Disco Era was having a bad influence on everyone, even crime writers.

Others may like this more than I did, largely because I had higher expectations. I give it 1 star, but you may give it 2.

No comments: