Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Undercover Economist, by Tim Harford

This audiobook was 10:06:45 long and was narrated by Robert Ian MacKenzie. I downloaded it from netlibrary.org.

This was an excellent read by an economist who has both his feet on the ground. He discusses the reasons by economies, large and small, either succeed and fail, whether they are street gangs selling drugs, or large national economies rising from the ruins. It is written in a lively, sometimes humorous, style and leaves you feeling like you really learned something. I know it's affected how I look at my own business, and I am already taking measures too implement what I've learned.

Because economics is such a huge component in anyone's politics, there will be something here to offend almost anyone's sensibilities. That is because Mr. Harford says it doesn't matter who owns the means of production; what matters is what you do with them. And truth often collides with ideology. Economies of the mind don't have to put food on the table and pay for medical care. Real cash and credit economies do.

Voters and politicians alike should read this, as well a readers who are merely looking for some sugar on their enlightenment. This was a pleasure to listen to, and I give it 4 stars.

No comments: